Friday, November 8, 2013

What have you failed at lately?

Have I ever told you that I am awful at volleyball?

I am.

My coach in high school told me as a junior (I was the only junior on B-squad, btw) that I would never play varsity and I could run the video camera my senior year.

That's a true story.

So, add 22 years to this body without ever touching a volleyball again and then see how good I am.

I feel sorry for the girl who asked me to join their volleyball team this year.

I feel sorry for her because little did she know I have been searching for a "female-fun" activity amongst this season of baseball, football, fantasy football, hunting, fishing, gym basketball, golfing "male-fun" activities. 

I feel sorry for her because she had no idea that I am one of those rare few who will swallow all of her pride and embarrass the heck out of herself all in the name of getting out of the house for an hour.

Too bad no one warned her that I will do just about anything to make new friends (even if they are 1/2 my age) and have fun!

I wish someone woulda told her that I am really okay with not winning. Ever.

My point of this blog is simply this....  If you, my dear friends, find yourself saying "NO" to an event, activity, friendship, class, etc. etc. because you fear you might not be good at it ~ please re-think your answer.

The inventor of Spanx is known to give tribute to her dad for making her and her siblings try something new every week that they might not be good at. He would ask at the dinner table, "What did you fail at today?" and that gave her great life-lessons that she took with her all the way to the bank!

So, now I ask you...What did you fail at this week?

I would call my first night on a new team (I knew one person) playing a sport that I KNOW I am not good at a total success!

 I had fun!

I scored points!

I burned calories!

I cheered on my team!

I laughed!

I screamed!

I fell down!

I used muscles that I have not used in 22 years!

I had a blast!

Did we win any of the 6 games we played, you ask? I'll never tell.

Now can someone please get my chiropractor!
                                       The boys giving their mom's sore muscles a massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment